Some nights you stay up too late.
This ultimately leads to added difficulty convincing yourself that removing your warm body out of the covers to face the cold floor and chill of the morning is a good idea.
I woke up this morning in such a state, knowing that I needed to get moving and start studying for the rest of the finals I have coming up this week. But instead, I lay there, and started think about what actually gets me out of bed in the morning. Which led me to wonder what I believe about life and the world that allows me to get out of bed each day. ( All of this thinking also allowed me some extra time in the warmth. Win. )
Anyways, I wanted to take a moment and revisit some of my CORE VALUES. I tried to think of the things that I believe that really do change the way that I live each day, the baseline I try to never sink below. Core values,I believe, effect the way you perceive yourself, the world, and others around your. They are good to define, and I have before, but today I wanted to revisit them and see what came to the surface. We are all living out our core values whether we have defined them or not–you are what you eat… And You are what you BELIEVE. Here is a boiled-down list of things that I really believe and try my best to live out each day and want to continue the rest of my life:
1. God is love. a simple concept that changes everything. He is everything that is good, kind, pure, thoughtful, extravagant, and beautiful. Seeing him this way will change your life, and helps you navigate through the best and worst of times.
2. There is always hope. Psychologist everywhere have started pointing to the power of hope in humans. I have heard it said that those with the most hope, have the most influence. I try to stay connected to hope: there is always something worth fighting for, worth trusting for, worth living for.
3. I am powerful. My close friends have heard me quote this,” powerful people know there needs and how to get them met in a healthy way”. Basically this translates into me making choices: choices that I know are the best for me. Believing that I am powerful has changes the way I communicate, interact with others, and is something I want to share with others , especially women–you always have a choice
4. Every person is valuable. Treat them accordingly…not just the ones you like
5. I am beautiful. I used to not believe this for a long time. It created a huge void in my life, and made me live towards myself from a place of hate. I now choose to give myself unconditional love. Unconditional love is powerful and makes things not beautiful. I try to remind myself of this each day when I look in a mirror
6. Everyone deserves kindness. I’m a big believer in kindness. My boyfriend puts it ” those who are kind, are free..” I agree with him. I want to show people extravagant kindness. Life’s tough you know, let’s be nice to each other.
7. Family is important. I try to live my life and make them a priority, and to show them that they are. I try to send that letter, make that phone call, and try to not take anyone of them for granted.
8. There is always a way. this helps me face obstacles and to not take no as an answer when it comes to my dreams.
9. I was born to change the world. Speaking of dreams, I try to feed them, pay attention to them, and live from my heart. I believe God put dreams inside of me that will change the world
10. There is always something to be thankful for. Thankfulness changes my perspective. If I am feeling like the world is a strange shade of grey, I try to say things to myself that I am grateful for. It really changes my outlook each time and fills my heart with more joy and aw… Good things for the heart I feel.
11. Joy is a choice, perspective, and gift. Joy is my baseline. Doesn’t mean that every day is sunshiny and wonderful, and that circumstances are good. I feel negative emotions and cry and don’t hold back those either. I don’t fake joy. But it has become a norm because I choose it, and it gives me strength and a deeper enjoyment of life.
12. I’m never alone. Good to remember. I am loved and taken care of.
13. My words are powerful. Believing this , I try to be careful with what I say, and use my words as effectively as possible to communicate how much I love others. Choose your words wisely — you are creating your world with them.
14. Take time for people’s stories. This involves listening and empathy. And your time. Giving people the gift of your time to understand them and make them feel valued is never a waste; and you will hear some amazing stories and maybe not judge the book by it’s cover so much the next time.
15. Beauty in nature is good for the soul. I go on walks to have the beauty of the world remind me that everything is going to be ok. Beauty has that effect. I let it refresh my soul
16. My love is powerful. What I do for others matters, and I can make a difference.
17. Life is an adventure.<em>This keeps me hoping, trusting, and holding on as the journey of my life takes unexpected twists and turns: helps me to see them as an adventure to be enjoyed, than an inconvenience to be endured. It’s happier 🙂
18. Live a great story. I stole this quote from Donald Miller, and it is in essence how I want to live my life. A character in a story goes through character development, has to go trough conflict, the story reaches a climax; and all because the character wanted something. Stories are boring if the main character doesn’t want anything, or if what he wants is self centered and boring. We don’t like those stories as much. So I try to dream and love and want things that would help me live a great story. One that someone would want to read someday.
There is a start. Some of my core values.
What are some of yours?
Ok seriously though now, I need to get out of bed and study.